Sunday, January 27, 2013

Spaghetti Saurus Rex

I know I've mentioned this before but my husband LOVES spaghetti. Our youngest, Lucy seems to be following in his foot steps. :) My father in law calls my husband "Spaghetti Saurus Rex" if that gives you any idea how much he likes it and how long his love for it has been growing. haha
Tonight I made his favorite version of it and a friend of mine asked for the recipe so I am sharing!
I made a couple of substitutions based on what we had on hand that I will list at the end.

Ingredients: 
1 lb ground beef, 1/2 C chopped onion, 1/2 C chopped green bell pepper, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 - 16 oz cans of diced tomatoes, 1 - 6 oz can of tomato paste, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp thyme and salt and pepper to taste. 

Directions: 
Brown meat with onion, pepper and garlic then drain.
Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or desired consistency.


We just picked up our basket of fresh fruits and veggies yesterday morning from a food coop that has drop off locations in our town, www.bountifulbaskets.org, among this weeks ingredients were green peppers, onion and tomatoes!
So my substitutions were that I used fresh diced tomatoes and then added some tomato sauce and a small can of tomato juice that we had on hand. It turned out perfectly! 

Thanks for reading!
~Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment